Welcome to Ruhr West
New international students at Ruhr West often have a lot of questions and concerns during their first weeks on campus. The buddy program "HRW Navi" was created to ease the transition by pairing new international students with current students who provide linguistic support, cultural guidance and information about life at Ruhr West. Our buddies are volunteers who often studied abroad themselves, receiving the same warm welcome and intensive support.
Typical buddy activities include:
- Answering questions by e-mail prior to students’ arrival in Germany
- Picking up new arrivals at the airport
- Showing international students around campus
- Locating nearby banks and grocery stores
- Offering assistance with finding a place to live
- Visiting a museum or a Christmas market
- Chatting over a cup of coffee
Welcome week for international students
Moreover, the Ruhr West buddies support the International Office with organising a ‘Welcome Week’ for all international students prior to the start of the semester, featuring a campus tour, introductions to other students and relevant university officials and a cultural program to familiarise incoming students with Mülheim an der Ruhr, the surrounding area and the history of the Ruhr region.