Jump navigation

  1. Jump to full-text search
  2. Jump to contents
  3. Jump to main navigation
  4. Jump to service navigation
Page: https://www.hochschule-ruhr-west.de//study/international-students/exchange-students/
Date: 27.10.2021, 11:32Clock

Exchange Students

Ruhr West is committed to promoting student mobility through university partnerships worldwide. Students of our partner universities abroad are welcome to spend one or more semesters studying at Ruhr West and benefit from a simplified admissions procedure. Likewise, international students from other foreign universities are welcome to come to Ruhr West as non-degree exchange students.

Important information for summer semester 2021: With the exception of some lab courses and other practical parts of some classes, teaching in summer semester 2021 will exclusively be provided online. We expect teaching in winter semester 2021/2022 to resume in a blended-learning form, including online and offline courses, depending on the development of the Coronavirus situation.

How to apply

Erasmus and other exchange students have to submit their application through the international office of their home university. Hence the first step in the process is contacting your international office to find out whether your university has an agreement with Ruhr West. We have signed agreements with a number of universities all over the world. Click here for a list of our current partner universities.

The application form for exchange students is available here. ERASMUS students are encouraged to use the ERASMUS+ app:

Should you be in need of assistance regarding your application, please contact Ruhr West University's International Office. Due to the Coronavirus situation, we currently have no in-person office hours, but can be reached via phone and video chat. Please check our website for further information: https://en.hochschule-ruhr-west.de/study/student-service/international-office/

Language of instruction

The regular language of instruction at Ruhr West is German. Good German skills are an essential prerequisite for studying at HRW. However,  international exchange students may take a semester programme of courses entirely in English, if available in their field of study. The courses in English at HRW are part of the regular curriculum and are open to domestic and international students alike. Although we recommend that international I students speak some German or take a German language course while they are at HRW, a specific level of German skills is not required. The level of English should be B2 (intermediate), B1 at minimum.


As a public German university, Ruhr West does not charge tuition. However, all students are required to pay a semester fee (currently € 324,38 per semester).

Courses in English

Courses in English in the summer semester 2021:

Business Administration:

Computer Science (M.Sc.):

Electrical Engineering:


Courses in English in the winter semester 2021/2022:

The following courses were offered in the winter semester 2020/21 and are likely to be offered again in the winter semester 2021/22. The final course list will be published in the summer semester 2021, most likely in April.


Business Administration:


  • German as a Foreign Language I and II (depending on demand)
  • Business English I
  • Business English II
  • Technical English

Click on the course titles to retrieve detailed module descriptions. Each completed course is worth 6 ECTS credit points, unless otherwise noted. Most modules are taken from the fifth semester of undergraduate study.

The IES programme is open to all students, thus giving international and domestic students the opportunity to take the same courses together. All IES courses are based at the Mülheim campus unless otherwise noted.


International Exchange Students should check the requirements for the modules they want to attend, as they may require basic knowledge in the particular field of study. In addition, good English language skills (at least B1 level, depending on the faculty and course) are required. Knowledge of German is helpful but not mandatory for courses taught in English.


Registration for courses begins during the application process for the exchange semester. Erasmus students use the Learning Agreement for their course choice. Exchange students from outside the EU will receive a similar form from the International Office at HRW, unless their home university provides their own document.

If possible, the International Office team at HRW will register you for your courses even before you arrive. Changes are possible within the first two weeks of the lecture period. Sometimes courses might not be available, for example if the number of participants is too low or because of time table discrepancies, if you choose courses from several faculties.

Semester dates

Whether or not in-class teaching will resume in 2021 depends on the development of the Corona-crisis. During the winter semester 2020 /2021 almost all courses are taught online. Exceptions are made for some laboratoy classes.

Summer Semester 2021  
Official Start of Semester  01.03.2021
Arrival Week for Incoming Students 15.03. – 19.03.2021
Welcome Week for International Students 22.03. – 26.03.2021
Start of Lectures  29.03.2021
End of Lectures 09.07.2021
Exam Period         12.07. - 30.07.2021

Winter Semester 2021 / 2022
Official Start of Semester 01.09.2020
Arrival Week for Incoming Students 13.09. – 17.09.2020
Welcome Week for Incoming Students 20.09. – 24.09.2020
Start of Lectures 27.09.2020
End of Lectures 21.01.2022
Exam Period 24.01. – 11.02.2022




For nominated exchange students from partner universities, the International Office at HRW provides assistance with registration for a room in a dormitory in Muelheim, Essen or Duisburg (two neighboring cities). Please note that the dormitories are managed by Studierendenwerk Essen-Duisburg, an independent student services organisation that also operates the university’s dining halls and cafeterias. HRW does not have any influence on the application process or the rental contracts.

For more information click here

Grading System

beParticipated and Passed
nbeParticipated and Failed
ECTS Credits

30 Credits/ Semester

60 Credits/ Academic Year

More detailed information on grades by percentage is available here

Immigration and visas

Whether or not you need a visa to enter Germany and study here depends on your country of origin. Special regulations apply to citizens of the following countries:

  • Students from the European Union, the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not need a visa or residence permit to enter Germany. They simply need to register with a local Bürgeramt (Citizens’ Office) within the first two weeks after their arrival and will automatically receive a 'Residence Permit for Study', provided they can show proof of sufficient funding and health insurance coverage. 
  • Students from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, Republic of South Korea, and the United States of America as well as Brazil, El Salvador, Andorra, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino do not need a visa to enter Germany. In addition to registering with a local Bürgeramt (Citizens’ Office) within the first two weeks after their arrival, students from these countries need to apply within three months to the local Ausländerbehörde (Foreigners Office) for the 'Residence Permit for Study'.

All other students require a German student visa (issued by a German Embassy) before entering Germany. Please note that even if you come from a country (other than those mentioned above) whose citizens can enter Germany with a simple tourist visa, you must possess a German student visa in order to apply for the residence permit. Tourist visas cannot be converted into residence permits under any circumstances. So if you don’t have a student visa at the Citizens’ Office, you will be required to return to your home country. This regulation applies both to holders of a residence permit from another EU country and to persons who entered Germany with a tourist visa. There is absolutely no exception to this regulation and Ruhr West will not be able to assist you.

Applying for a student visa

Apply for your student visa at the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country, and do so well in advance, as processing may take several weeks. Your visa will be valid for up to 90 days. You will normally be required to submit the documents listed below. The Embassy, however, can ask for additional documents or further clarifications. The information provided by them takes priority.

  • Visa application form (available at the Embassy)
  • A valid passport
  • Zulassungsbescheid (Letter of Admission) from Ruhr West (issued upon admission)
  • Finanzierungsnachweis (proof of sufficient financial resources)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Proof of any academic credits gained or examinations passed
  • Proof of German proficiency
  • 2 passport-sized photographs (35mm x 45mm)

For further questions, please refer to the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Addresses are available at the website of the Federal Foreign Office, which also provides further information on the visa process and the appropriate application forms.

Proof of financial resources

Non-EU students in Germany are required to submit evidence of sufficient funds to finance their studies in Germany. In most cases, this proof of financial resources (German: Finanzierungsnachweis) must be included with the visa application. Expected living expenses are estimated by the Foreigners Office based on BAföG, a German funding programme for living expenses. At present, you must prove you have at least € 861 per month or € 10,332 per academic year at your disposal.

Proof of financial resources can be provided in various ways. The following forms are generally accepted:

  • Paying the required amount of money to a blocked bank account in Germany.
  • Having a German resident provide the Aliens’ Registration Office with a written statement that they will cover your expenses (sponsorship).
  • Receiving a scholarship from a recognised scholarship provider.
  • Providing a bank guarantee from a bank institute in Germany.
  • Submitting evidence of your parents’ income and financial assets.

Please contact the German Embassy or Consulate in your country to find out which form of financial proof is required.

Please note: Although international students are allowed to work in Germany under certain conditions, you should not expect to work to cover the cost of your education at Ruhr West.